Thursday, August 20, 2009

On Your Mark...

The pace has really accellerated this past week or so. It usually does, in August, but this year, the summer was busier than usual. Here's a recap:
  • June began with our air conditioner needing replacement (a necessity in the Washington DC area!).
  • My mother died shortly thereafter, after a long illness. I spent a week with my father and brothers.
  • We received notice of grant funding for Madrichim (teen aide) training, to be held on August 30th.
  • A colleague contracted for a major curriculum rewrite - we worked together over 25 hours between the end of June and the end of July.
  • Our kitchen, dining room and hallway were painted and "re-staged."
  • I met with another client to plan some family programs with her.
  • We went to Israel.
  • I wrote lessons and teacher guides for the Madrichim Training - and submitted two of them to a publisher who'd asked me to develop some materials for madrichim training.
  • We staffed the Training session and distributed teaching materials to the facilitators.
  • Five directors spoke to me about doing training workshops - three for staff orientations, and two for training during the school year.
  • I met with another colleague, who's piloting an innovative idea for family education.
  • I had eye surgery (successfully!)
  • We received notice of funding for another large program (Lev B'Lev - "Heart to Heart") in Northern Virginia that I'll be facilitating again this year, in January.
  • Materials for that program were compiled, duplicated and will be distributed at a regional directors' meeting next week.
  • And there's been the usual complement of volunteer work: meetings (committee and board), knitting, Mitzvah Heroes work.

Whew! I knew the summer was busy as the weeks were passing - but, wow! I really did get a lot more accomplished than I thought. My "to-do" lists have seemed unending - I hadn't really focused on the "Done" part of the list until now.

That's the recap. Tomorrow begins the Hebrew month of Elul - which is a preparation month in anticipation of Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year) and Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement): a month in which we focus on how the past year has gone and what we look forward to in the year ahead.

Stay tuned!

No comments: